Events & Meetings
February MeetingFebruary 13, 2019
San Martin Drive Pedestrian Improvements: Project Overview & Lessons Learned
Recently, Johns Hopkins University (Homewood Campus) spent $15M to make improvements along San Martin Drive which Improve pedestrian safety and connectivity; Address drainage issues and provide much needed stormwater management treatment in the Stony Run Watershed; and provide aesthetic improvements to the corridor. San Martin Drive is the primary road which runs approximately 1 mile North-South through the Homewood Campus in downtown Baltimore.
This multi-disciplinary project involved a pedestrian bridge built on micro-piles within a forest conservation easement, several stormwater management facilities, roadway improvements, a retaining wall, lighting and signage improvements as well as work within the right of way involving coordination with Baltimore City DOT.
Project challenges included meeting environmental & sustainability requirements to construct a bridge within a forest conservation area while preserving a mature tree canopy; limited right of way space and existing utility conflicts; unfavorable topography; work within a densely populated active college campus.
The presentation will include an overview of the structural, geotechnical, stormwater, maintenance of traffic, general civil, and construction methods used to accomplish this project. The design team included RK&K and Ayers Saint Gross. The General Contractor was Whiting Turner.
This project won the Maryland ACEC award in 2018.
Matt Thomasson, Manager, RK&K
Charlie Mitchell, Senior Project Engineer, RK&K
Jeff Downs, Project Manager, Whiting Turner
Meeting Location & Details(Unless Otherwise Noted)
Social Hour: 6:00p
Dinner in the ballroom: 7:00p
Jacket Required, Tie Optional
Non Dues Paying Members: $60
Students & Government Employees: $30
Registration Deadline & Cancellation Policy
There is generally street parking available nearby after 6pm. (Limited to two hours without a permit until 8pm).
Pay to Park Facilities:
- Metered Parking: N. Calvert Street
- Central Parking: 520 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Baltimore Sun Garage: 601 N Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Parking Management Inc: 690 N Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21202
Registrations are open until Noon, the Friday prior to the event. At that time all reservations are considered firm and billed. You will not be able to receive a refund after that time. Additionally, you will be invoiced, via email, for payment in the event you cancel, after this deadline or do not attend the event. You will not have to pay if you cancel your registration prior to this deadline.
- Registration is always required regardless of payment method by Friday at noon prior to the event. If you need to register multiple attendees please fill out one form for each attendee.
- If you choose not to pay via credit card (through paypal) additional payment options are available through check or cash. Details are available during checkout.
- If you are an administrator paying for multiple employees, a single payment may be made. Please register each attendee using the form and then add each attendee to the shopping cart, after selecting their membership status/pay rate and adding their name. Then complete the checkout process.
- To cancel your reservation or if you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.