Deputy Director of Public Works - Environment & Sustainability
Harford County Government
Bel Air, MD
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Deputy Director shall be responsible for the management and performance of all functions and duties involving:
- Public works engineering reports, maps, drawings, specifications and estimates;
- Supervision of the execution and performance of all contracts for capital projects;
- Construction of capital and maintenance projects by County employees;
- Construction inspection of roads, streets, bridges, culverts, drainage, water and sewer systems.
- Other duties as may be provided from time to time by directive of the County Executive, Director of Administration or by legislative act of the County Council.
- Extensive knowledge of the modern methods and techniques of general engineering, and trends in the fields of environmental compliance and sustainability.
- Extensive knowledge of inspection and construction of road, bridge, drainage, water and sewer projects.
- Extensive knowledge of stormwater management and Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Permit requirements and compliance
- Thorough knowledge of engineering principles and practices, federal and state laws and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel management.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of program and project management.
- Skill in planning, organizing and directing the programs and activities of a highly complex Public Works Division
- Skill in developing long-range engineering plans and to assist in making decisions on major policy and operational problems.
- Ability to evaluate the progress and efficiency of Division programs and operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county and state officials and employees, consultants, contractors and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
The Deputy Director of Public Works – Environment & Sustainability is a senior position, and will lead the operations of the Harford County Department of Public Works Division of Environment & Sustainability, reporting to the Director of Public Works. Responsible for management and oversight of the five Bureaus of the Division; Stormwater Management, Construction Inspections, Watershed Management, Solid Waste Management, and Capital Projects Management. The current Deputy Director is retiring, and there will be great opportunities for continuous improvement and efficiency within the Division as turnover generates new leadership.
The Division of Environment & Sustainability is responsible for the following, in accordance with all county, state and federal requirements:
- Efficient and productive planning, engineering, construction, inspection and maintenance of Harford County's stormwater management, solid waste and other capital projects.
- Administration of the County's MS4 Permit program and Dam Safety program.
- Technical review and inspection of projects for compliance with environmental regulations.
- Administration of solid waste and recycling programs for collection and disposal.
The Deputy Director will have a working technical knowledge and management experience in several of the functional areas of the Division. She or he will be a collaborative individual with strong communication and leadership skills, and works closely with internal and external entities, governmental agencies and stakeholders. Critical thinking, diplomacy, political acumen, superior management, negotiation and communication skills and knowledge of fiscal issues are required in addition to engineering competencies in civil and environmental design and construction. The Deputy Director will be a dynamic and forward thinking leader who will embrace change and promote process improvements. The selected candidate will be appointed by the County Executive.
Nature of Work:
- Responsible for capital project planning, organizational development, incorporation of sustainability, formulation of policy, and partnering in emergency management.
- Lead the Division by developing a shared vision and mission consistent with the goals and objectives of the County Administration and Department of Public Works.
- Manages and mentors staff, participates in recruitment, selection and promotion, facilitates training and coaching, and emphasizes safety.
- Manages data and information using technology, and utilizes work measurement through analytics and relevant metrics.
- Understands budgeting, finance and grant administration, and promotes creative and practical utilization of staff, consultant and contractor resources to accomplish the Division's mission.
For More Information Please Click Here
Contact Information: DHR@harfordcountymd.gov
Posted On: 3/10/2020 10:09:16