Deputy Director of Public Works - Highways
Harford County Government
Bel Air, MD
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Deputy Director of Public Works – Highways is a senior position, and will lead the operations of the Harford County Department of Public Works Division of Highways, reporting to the Director of Public Works. Responsible for management and oversight of the two Bureaus of the Division of Highways, Highway Engineering and Highway Maintenance. The current Deputy Director is retiring, and there will be great opportunities for continuous improvement and efficiency within the Division as turnover generates new leadership.
The Division of Highways is responsible for the efficient and productive planning, engineering, construction and maintenance of Harford County's roads, bridges, traffic and drainage systems, including meeting all county, state and federal requirements. Harford County is the sixth largest county in Maryland, and we own and maintain over 1,100 miles of roadway and over 220 bridges.
The Deputy Director will have a working technical knowledge and management experience in several of the functional areas of the Division. She or he will be a collaborative individual with strong communication and leadership skills, and works closely with internal and external entities, governmental agencies and stakeholders. Critical thinking, diplomacy, political acumen, superior management, negotiation and communication skills and knowledge of fiscal issues are required in addition to engineering competencies in road, bridge and traffic design and construction. The Deputy Director will be a dynamic and forward thinking leader who will embrace change and promote process improvements. The selected candidate will be appointed by the County Executive.
The Deputy Director shall be responsible for the management and performance of all functions and duties involving:
- Public works or utilities survey reports, maps, drawings, specifications and estimates;
- Supervision of the execution and performance of all contracts for highways capital projects;
- Construction of capital and maintenance projects by County employees;
- Construction and maintenance of roads, streets, bridges, culverts and drainage systems
- Acceptance of roads and dedicated ways as prescribed by law;
- Other duties as may be provided from time to time by directive of the County Executive, Director of Administration or by legislative act of the County Council.
- Extensive knowledge of the modern methods and techniques of general engineering, and trends in the field.
- Extensive knowledge of planning, engineering and construction of road, bridge, traffic and drainage projects.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering principles and practices, federal and state laws and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel management.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of program and project management.
- Skill in planning, organizing and directing the programs and activities of a highly complex Public Works Division
- Skill in developing long-range engineering plans and to assist in making decisions on major policy and operational problems.
- Ability to evaluate the progress and efficiency of Division programs and operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county and state officials and employees, consultants, contractors and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
For More Information Please Click Here
Contact Information: DHR@harfordcountymd.gov
Posted On: 3/10/2020 10:06:51